Thursday, July 31, 2008

may you live in interesting times

Well the past month or so, I've fallen victim to the old curse, "May you live in interesting times". Lots of family visits and funerals. My grandpa died when I was one year old, and last week my grandma's second husband passed away. Watching him suffer from Alzheimer's was very painful. I think that I have some fear to deal with there, fear that it will happen to me. Not because of genes because we didn't share any, but just because it is a horrible fate.
But therapy taught me that we are given our life journey, and it is for us to walk. Whether we get Alzheimer's or not is obviously something that we cannot control, so I need to surrender that to a higher power, and let it go.
There is a great peace in that, if we can find it.
I didn't cry until the AmVets were marching by one by one, saluting his body. My uncle gave me a Springfield M-1 cartridge casing from the 21-gun salute, it meant a lot to me. He has always loved guns, and I have just rediscovered them in the last two years. He knows that we have a similarity there, because being a responsible gun owner and target shooter takes certain psychological traits. I am so glad that we can share that.

No comments: